Monday, March 26, 2007

Why Teenagers Shouldn't Rent a House in a Single Family Neighborhood



This is the wonderfully aesthetic view from my house on Saturday, March 24--teenage boys on the roof drinking beer, throwing rocks, shaking the vent pipes--and the cars...all the way down the block. I have been subjected to "the party that never ends" for the last few months. My other neighbors (which weren't much better at neighborhood decorum) at least didn't park themselves on the roof....Now, there are at least three or four students that are renting this lovely old mid-century house. I have contacted codes enforcement, the police department and all of the right "channels" to get some sort of relief from the constant barrage of cars and "party people". hmm...one problem....nothing is changing...now I have to be honest and say that every person I have talked to is very, very, very nice....but the process is very slow.....
The problem is not having more than two "unrelateds" living in the house--it is the twenty friends apiece that visit each of the unrelateds that is the problem. I feel as if the house is the "Starbuck's" of the neighborhood--or maybe the "flophouse" for TTU. Today, they have parked on the roof and the dead remains of last night's fun ( all their beer and drink trash) remain on the roof for everyone to see. I can only wonder what the house will resemble in the middle of July--will I be treated to sunbathing on the roof amidst the unmowed yard? I pay approximately $3500 per year to the Lubbock County Appraisal District to live in this neighborhood. Gee, it seems a small price to pay for so much entertainment across the street.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Obviously, in this case, these teenagers shouldnt be renting. But not all teenagers are irresponsible and will commit to under-age drinking and destruction of property. I've seen many cases where teenagers have rented a house or apartment when they were 16 and have beceom sucessful and now own their own home. It all depends on the teenager and the owners trust in the teen to be a good tenant.