Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Springing into action.....









I want everyone to know that I am, right at this very minute, sitting on my new "secret patio" off my bedroom, enjoying a very beautiful day. The weather is perfect, connected to the web, writing, and I am listening to "My Funny Valentine" by Miles Davis......too perfect. Now this is the way to write!!!
I was doing my daily Molly walk and happened to notice how quiet it was today and more than anything noticed the smell....no particular smell, just the smell of dirt, water, dead grass--but there was something familiar about it....gee I haven't noticed outside smells in a long time...I am thinking now....maybe like 20 years or more...had been too busy and too preoccupied to think about that. It seems like to one has to be "without care" to notice things like that. "Without care"....seems almost childlike, no responsibility, nothing to preoccupy your senses and thoughts. After you reach about 25, there is no such thing as "without care". When you are 6, you have no care, when you are 13-20--you don't care--and I guess when you creep into the 50-ish time, you start to be "without care"....

I want to read this new book called the "The Myth of the Bell Curve"--it has a number of essays by a lot of really neat people....Howard Gardner (remember him the 8 intelligences guy???) and one of my favorite people--Henry Louis Gates, Jr.--professor of black history at Harvard. I found out that you can do a Google Search on books and actually read entire books online....that is soooo awesome....what a way to do research. could do that all the time.....and now that I have found that I do the patio, internet, jazz-listenin' thing, I may do that more often.

speaking of Henry Louis Gates--PBS has a show called "African American Lives" Wednesdays @ 8. Scientists can now do DNA testing to find out your "ultimate" roots and examine migration patterns of the mitochondrial DNA to trace your ancestors. it is just the most interesting thing to me....

I wish that someone would just pay me to learn about things and write about them....talk about the ultimate career!!!

hope tomorrow is as nice as it is today!!!

No comments: