Monday, February 20, 2006

Advantages of a 5 Year Plan


If there is something that I learned from being in public education, it is about the need to plan.

Not only to plan, but revise the plan, consult the plan, re-vamp the plan--a road map for future actions and goals.

Back in the 80's, each campus had to develop a yearly plan concerning the things that each of us wanted to accomplish professionally that year and I remember from being on the Strategic Planning Committee for the district that it was crucial that you have at least a five-year plan for a school district.

I don't know that they do those types of things anymore. At least I don't know about them. (I could go on and on about the late 80's to middle 90's and about how I think education was more creative and more committed than now...)

Anyway, that really stuck with me. I do 5 year plans and I go back and I revise (because sometimes, just like going on a trip, you may decide to take another route, or go another place altogether....) anyway, in doing this 5 year plan, I am thinking of making some drastic changes within the next 5 years.

I am thinking of downsizing to a smaller, newer living quarters. I love my house, but what does one woman do with over 3400 sq ft of house that is 55 years old....and since my income "post-retirement" has shrunk, it would be fiscally responsible to do so.... and of course, Andy probably won't return home, except temporarily, after June of this year.....

I am faced with choices....choices.....and a new found freedom that I haven't had in at least 30 years.....

The only way I can make those choices is to plan, plan, plan.....
Scary, but exciting....

No comments: