Thursday, January 26, 2006

Greed or "PC"


Whenever I have an occasion to drive from end of the city to the next (which is not TOO often) I see the disparity in people's neighborhoods--their houses, the merchants that they are able to access, their cars, the condition of the block in which they live and it causes me to feel a little sad and somewhat guilty. I see the children that play in those neighborhoods and wonder if they will be relegated to the same life as their parents.
The recent death of the elderly couple due to hypothermia, really made me think AND again feel guilty. They were so proud and didn't want anyone to help them and they had lived without ANY utilities since May--no water, no electricity, no gas--no lights, no A/C, no showers, no way to cook. and it would have cost the utility companies very little to have extended them some credit. when their utilities were shut-off, a technician had to go out and knock on the door to inform them of the cut-off--when they came to the door didn't he see that they were elderly and one of them was on oxygen--guess not!!

I mean, how much do we all really need? I guess I shouldn't feel too guilty because I drive a 12 year old car--cars are not really that important to me--they are just a means to an end--I keep it clean and it is dependable and best of all--I don't have a car payment (I detest paying car payments!!) I live in a house that is 52 years old--but it is big and roomy and it is nothing extravagant, really. but then I read news items that talk about how much money some of the CEO's of big corporations make and I am just wondering---what could you really do with all that money???...I mean surely they don't spend it all.... and the houses that I see people living in right here in Lubbock....I mean let's get real, here--many of them are just a purely vulgar display of wealth. Is it really necessary for some to live THAT large?? how much room do you really need for the three or four of you?
It's just my personal opinion....but if you live in a Taj Mahal type dwelling, you shouldn't be allowed to have another house until you have a build a basic house for someone else who doesn't have one.
Now, some would say: "well, that's not fair, I work really hard for my money"--well I don't think you work as hard and under such bad conditions as some of those who don't have as much as you....ever worked on an assembly line and only get two bathroom breaks per day or done construction, or shoveled gravel on I-27 in 100+ degree heat? and the pay of these jobs don't at all compensate for the less-than-ideal conditions.
Now some would say to this: "hey I had to sacrifice a lot to get the education that I got and do all the work necessary to get where I am today." well sure, that's understandable to think that way--but I am wondering how many lucky "breaks" you had because of your family or because you had a mentor or a parent or a coworker that helped you?
I am not trying to make those of you that are successful feel guilty, but just think about that question when you book your tickets to St. Croix or think about buying a new Lexus, or when you think you need a new Louis Vuitton purse.
How much do you really need??

No comments: