Wednesday, January 11, 2006

What's in the news?

I subscribe to hundreds of mailing lists about education and careers and as I read them I am fascinated that NONE of them mention anything about the kids!
Just this evening, EdWeek had a forum on "Is it Right to Make a Superientendent the scapegoat?" I just laughed as I wrote: "I don't care!"...what I do care about is the fact that when I read articles about education, I see lots of "jargon"--assessment, data management, benchmark, end of course exams, TAAS, TAKS, CPAT, TPAT (all those letters can change depending on the state in which you live!) I read about principals "boo-hoo"-ing about how difficult it is to take care of their budgets--but I didn't hear anything about kids, about how they are, about what they need, about how they feel. I would compare it to Ford Motor company paying more attention to a carbuerator than to the customer that buys the car.
I used to subscribe to the government daily news letter about the Department of Education---well, gee, I thought that was what it was...I had to check and make sure I had subscribed to the right publication because I had the impression that it was Ms. Spelling's personal marketing site.
Personal marketing.....now that is another subject for another day because that is something that has been on mind a lot. Ahhh the evolution of the image of public education.

No comments: